Tuesday 28 July 2015

Guest Article: HR In A Quarter Mile by Melissa Fairman

Last week I started a new job at Mickey Thompson Tires and Wheels. As the HR Manager for a performance tire and wheel company, I’ve been on a crash course through the world of tire operations, customer service and sales but the coolest part of my first week was going to Frank Hawley’s Drag Racing School.  

 

That’s right, someone put me in a car that can go 200+ miles an hour (not to worry the speed was capped at 130) and it was up to me to steer straight (that was actually the easiest part). Hurtling down the ¼ mile track is an exciting/exhilarating/nerve-wracking experience that was an awesome way to put me (literally) in the driver’s seat of our customers.

 

Mickey Thompson encourages all their new hires to go on this once a year opportunity for a number of reasons but the HR geek in me loved it beyond the thrill seeking aspect. It is a great team building opportunity but more importantly people can see how they are directly connected to the business. 

 

Below is a video of my first attempt, this was a ⅛ mile and and yes I screwed up the burnout.   email readers may have to click to the website to view the video.

Frank Hawley Drag Racing School from Melissa Fairman on Vimeo.

 

What do you do to show people their connection to the business? 


Article source:Melissa Fairman - HR In A Quarter Mile»

Check out more of Melissa Fairman's work at HR Remix

No comments:

Post a Comment