Tuesday 21 July 2015

Guest Article: Thank Them On Their Way Out by Melissa Fairman

Have you ever given your two (or three) week notice and felt the company was writing you off before your two weeks were up? Maybe your boss started giving you the cold shoulder and your team mates started leaving you off team meetings? Suddenly no one wanted to talk to you at the proverbial water cooler? Yea…we’ve all been there done that.

 

I’m familiar with the off-boarding process through HR (of course), but also because I recently went through this process when I gave notice at my last position and accepted a new position at Mickey Thompson Performance Tires. My previous company did a great job transitioning me out of the organization,  which caused me to think a little more in depth about that whole “transition out of the organization” piece.   You can do it well and leave your departing employee with a great feeling or you can do it badly….with all of those consequences.  Here is a quick snippet of a post I wrote over PIC:

“…how companies treat departing employees is just as important.  In my post I advised departing individuals of a critical decision they can make:

“ ‘This is a time when you have a choice: you can resign and preserve relationships with the people you value or you can burn a lot of bridges.’ ”

Managers have the same choice.”

 

Click over to Performance I Create to read the entire post.  


Article source:Melissa Fairman - Thank Them On Their Way Out»

Check out more of Melissa Fairman's work at HR Remix

No comments:

Post a Comment