Friday 9 January 2015

Guest Article: I’m from HR. And I’m Here to Help. by Robin Schooling

clipboard gal I really am.


But I understand why you may not believe me.


Over the years, perhaps, you’ve had frustrating interactions with poker-faced human resources ladies desperately clinging to antiquated policies and procedures.


It’s entirely possible that an HR Business Partner, who, according to your company collateral is supposed to ‘build coalitions and effect change,’ only brought about frustration by tossing up roadblocks and obstacles.


I wouldn’t be surprised if the last time you had a positive interaction with HR was when you ate donuts and played games in New Employee Orientation and it’s been all downhill since then.


But I’m going to let you in on a little secret…


Many HR practitioners are not, deep down, the black-hearted trolls they appear to be. Many of them absolutely DO want to help employees, applicants, managers, and leaders.


Oh sure, there will always be prissy, useless, nasty or power-hungry HR practitioners. There will also always be jackholes who work in sales, nerds without social skills who work in IT, and narcissistic (and impossibly attractive) people who work as pharmaceutical account executives.


And you thought of someone you’ve worked with, met at a social function, or heard about who fit every one of those stereotypes. Didn’t you?


Look…a vast number of the gals and guys who work in human resources begin their career filled with dewy optimism; they want to make a difference in an organization by working with and through people. Many want to move from prescribing activities and enforcing rules and begin working as full partners in the influencing of business outcomes.


They’re from HR.


And they’re here to help.


Please let them.


********


image via Roger Wilkerson


The post I’m from HR. And I’m Here to Help. appeared first on HR Schoolhouse.




Article source:Robin Schooling - I’m from HR. And I’m Here to Help.»



Check out more of Robin's work at HR Schoolhouse and Silver Zebras

No comments:

Post a Comment